Date: Friday, 6 May 2022
Time: 15:30 to 16:30
PLATFORM: Microsoft Teams
The large-scale contamination of the public sphere by rumours, hate speech, dangerous conspiracy theories and orchestrated deception campaigns is causing widespread concern around the world. These ills are collectively referred to as 'information disorder'. The disorder results from a range of factors. They include a rapidly changing media ecology and an increasingly fractious, populist and polarised political environment. The surge in false information about the Covid-19 pandemic has increased these concerns.
Despite being a widespread problem in the Global South, the study of information disorder is dominated by examples, case studies and models from the Global North. This applies to the available knowledge about the range of responses and counter-interventions that have been put in place.
A new study, 'Meeting the Challenges of Information Disorder in the Global South' aims to fill this gap. This collaborative study, funded by the International Development Research Centre of Canada and coordinated by Professor Herman Wasserman, provides, for the first time, a comprehensive overview of the organisations, activists and movements working across the Global South to counter information disorder.
This webinar will provide summaries of the main findings of the study, presented by members of the regional teams from Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East and North African region who contributed to the report.
To join the conversations:
- Join on Microsoft Teams using the following: https://bit.ly/LessonsFromTheGlobalSouth
- You do not need to have Microsoft Teams installed on your device. We do recommend that you connect using your laptop or PC (not mobile phone) for a better user experience.
- On confirmation of your attendance, a meeting link will be sent to you.
- The Summer School programme needs to sustain itself through the generation of income. If you have found his webinar interesting and wish to donate towards the future sustainability of Summer School, please make a donation.
- For additional information regarding these sessions, email us: email@example.com.